This Half Term, in RE, Year Six are discussing communities. We’ve talked about what communities we’re a part of, how we contribute to our community and how being part of a community impacts on our lives.
But what is a community?
In the dictionary, it tells us that a community could be a variety of things:
- A social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
3. A social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests.
- “I am a Muslim. I would like to be able to pray at a local mosque.” Katie was able to find out that there are 25 different mosques in Sheffield. The closest one to our school is on Hanover Street: Al-huda Masjid & Broomhall Muslim Islamic Community Centre.
- “My favourite exercise is swimming. I like to go regularly, so I would like to find somewhere to swim locally.” Macie didn’t even need to search for an answer to this request. She knew our local are so well that she was able to write all about Springs Leisure Centre which is just a short walk from Manor Top.
- “I like dancing, singing and acting. I would like to join a club that meets every week.” Scott was able to find out that there’s a dance class weekly at Nycha Dance Creations on Ridgeway Road.
What did we learn?
During this session, we learned all about what a community is but also that, no matter what your interests or beliefs, there is always a place for you in every community.